Public comment requested on White House report to stem the opioid crisis
The White House National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) is seeking public comment on the Draft Report of the Fast Track Action Committee (FTAC) on Health Science and Technology Response to the Opioid Crisis. Comments are requested by December 5, 2018 and may be submitted to OpioidsRoadmap@OSTP.eop.gov (link sends e-mail).
The NSTC chartered the Opioid FTAC to support the President’s response to the opioid crisis by identifying (1) research and development (R&D) critical to addressing key gaps in knowledge and tools, and (2) opportunities to improve coordination of Federal R&D essential to combating the opioid crisis.
The report, “Health Research and Development to Stem the Opioid Crisis: A National Roadmap,” describes and provides recommendations in seven research areas:
- Biology and Chemistry of Pain and Opioid Addiction
- Non-Biological Contributors to Opioid Addiction
- Pain Management
- Prevention of Opioid Addiction
- Treatment of Opioid Addiction and Withdrawal
- Overdose Prevention and Recovery
- Community Consequences of Opioid Addiction
The report is available here: https://www.nih.gov/draft-ftac.